This document is the Property of Busamed (Pty) Ltd and is protected by the copyright law of South
Africa. No part thereof may be reproduced in any form or under any means without written permission of
Busamed (Pty) Ltd.
Any unauthorized reproduction of this document will constitute a copyright infringement and any doer will be liable under both criminal and civil law.
|Effective Date||July 2021|
|Next Review Date||June 2022|
|Compiled By||Taryn Laas|
|Position||Group Brand Marketing Manager|
|Approved By||Yaseen Harneker|
|Position||Group Funder Relations Manager|
- Busamed Hospital Group [BUSAMED] is a proudly South African Private Hospital providing specialist services in seven hospitals across the country. BUSAMED is supported by various subsidiaries providing services and facilities within the Group.
- We recognize the importance of protecting your privacy and to process your information lawfully in accordance with the rules prescribed in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013, as amended [POPI].
- Busamed strives to comply with its obligations under POPI.
- "Personal Information" has the meaning ascribed thereto under POPIA and specifically includes any form of information that can be used to identify a Data Subject;
- "Data Subject" has the meaning ascribed thereto under POPIA;
- "Regulator" means the Information Regulator established in terms of POPIA;
- Processing means any operation or activity whether or not by automatic means, concerning records including collecting, receiving, recording, organizing, collating, storing, updating, modifying, retrieving, altering, consulting or using, disseminating, distributing or making available and merging, linking, blocking, degrading, erasing and destroying.
What types of personal information do we process?
- Busamed will generally process personal information for purposes required to operate and manage our normal operations as a managed healthcare provider.
- Examples of personal information we process includes but is not limited to: - information such as your name, surname, contact details, educational qualifications, race, gender, age, and ID/passport number and medical information (including but not limited to pre-existing conditions, medical test results and medical aid details).
When will we process your personal information?
- Personal information may be processed when you make an enquiry, complete the relevant application forms to access our services, apply to be a service provider, apply for employment, or for the appointment as a contractor in person via electronic or hard copy.
- Busamed will only process your personal information for a specific and lawful purpose.
How do we use your personal information?
We may use your personal information for any legitimate business purposes relating to providing our services to you. Some of the purposes for which we use your personal information include:
- providing you with our services and products.
- referring you to other service providers.
- responding to your queries posted on our website or emailed to us.
- improving our website and services by analysing certain information collected, including cookies and other related information.
- onboarding suppliers and service providers as approved suppliers/service providers of BUSAMED.
- employment related purposes such as recruitment, payroll.
- for other purposes where you consent to the processing of your personal information.
- payment processing functions, including payment of suppliers/service providers.
- complying with our regulatory or other obligations.
- We may use your personal information for any legitimate business purposes relating to providing our services to you. Some of the purposes for which we use your personal information include:
Sharing of your personal information
We may disclose your personal information to our subsidiaries or third-party service providers, where necessary, to fulfill the purpose for which your information was provided to us. We may thus share your personal information with:
- any subsidiary of BUSAMED.
- your medical aid scheme or insurance company.
- any firm, organisation, or person that BUSAMED uses to collect payments and recover debts or to provide a service on its behalf.
- any payment system that BUSAMED uses.
- regulatory and governmental authorities, ombudsmen, including tax authorities, a court of law where BUSAMED has a duty to or obliged to share information.
- third parties to whom payments are made on behalf of employees.
- financial institutions or medical aids from whom payments are received on behalf of patients.
- employees, contractors, and temporary staff; and
- our duly appointed Agents.
- We will only share your personal information for purposes of providing services to you or any other legitimate purpose relating to the provision of our services to you, including but not limited to, the protection of our or your rights, complaints, marketing, or carrying out or enforcing any agreement between us.
- Where required, we may share your personal information with our service providers. We only share information with service providers after obtaining an undertaking that your information will be processed lawfully. You have the right to object to this at any time.
- Where the law requires us to do so, we may also share your personal information with third party service providers, agents, contractors, employees, law enforcement agencies or affiliates. We will only share your personal information in these instances where it is necessary for us to do so and only to the extent that your personal information is needed for such third parties to perform their services or obligations.
- We may disclose your personal information to our subsidiaries or third-party service providers, where necessary, to fulfill the purpose for which your information was provided to us. We may thus share your personal information with:
You have the right to:
- know who is collecting and processing your personal information.
- be notified if your personal information has been accessed or acquired by an unauthorised person.
- request, where necessary, the correction, destruction, or deletion of your personal information (subject to statutory restrictions).
- object, on reasonable grounds, to the processing of your personal information.
- object to the processing of your personal information at any time for purposes of direct marketing.
- not to be subject, under certain circumstances, to a decision which is based solely on the basis of the automated processing of your personal information intended to create a profile.
- BUSAMED may retain your personal information only for the period necessary for the purpose for which it was intended or in accordance with the provisions of any applicable legislation and guidelines issued by the Department of Health and the Health Professionals Council of South Africa. Copies of these guidelines are publicly available.
Your objection to the use of your personal information
- POPI provides that you may object, at any time, to the processing of personal information by BUSAMED, on reasonable grounds. Should you elect to object to the processing of your personal information, please complete the prescribed objection form which may be obtained from the website of the Information Regulator.
- Any objection to us processing your personal information shall impact on our ability to provide our services to you which may include the inability to honour our contractual commitments entered into with you.
Right of access to and correction of your personal information
- You have the right to access your personal information subject to providing proof of identity and fulfilling the prescribed requirements.
- You may request us to correct or delete your personal information on grounds that it is inaccurate, irrelevant, excessive, out of date, incomplete, misleading, or obtained unlawfully; or destroy or delete a record of personal information that we no longer are authorised to retain in terms of POPI alternatively any other relevant legislation.
- If you wish to request a correction or deletion of personal information or the destruction or deletion of a record of personal information you must submit the prescribed request for correct or deletion form which may be obtained from the website of the Information Regulator.
Safe keeping of personal information
- BUSAMED shall preserve the security of your personal information and prevent its alteration, loss and damage, or access by non-authorised third parties.
- BUSAMED will ensure the security and integrity of your personal information in its possession or under its control with appropriate, reasonable technical and organisational measures to prevent loss, unlawful access, and unauthorised destruction of your personal information.
- BUSAMED has implemented physical, organisational, contractual, and technological security measures (having regard to generally accepted information security practices or industry specific requirements or professional rules) to keep all personal information secure, including measures protecting any personal information from loss or theft, and unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- BUSAMED maintains and regularly verifies that the security measures are effective and regularly updates same in response to new risks.
Website access and privacy
When accessing our website, you are not required to provide any personal information on the public areas of our website. However, you may choose to do so by completing the application forms on various sections of our website, including:
- making an enquiry regarding our services.
- Careers/vacancy applications.
By continuing to use our website:
You agree that we may collect, collate, process and/or store your personal information for the purpose of:
- providing you with access to the website and its contents.
- to respond to enquiries about our services.
- email you updates.
- contact you about possible employment.
By continuing to use our website and supplying your personal information you do so:
- voluntarily acknowledging that you know and understand the contents and terms and conditions of this policy.
- give BUSAMED your informed expression of will, consenting to the processing of your personal information.
- When accessing our website, you are not required to provide any personal information on the public areas of our website. However, you may choose to do so by completing the application forms on various sections of our website, including:
- We will only use your personal information for the purposes for which it was collected. In addition, where necessary, your information may be retained for legal or research purposes.
Links to other sites
When you are using our website, you could be directed to other sites that are beyond our control. These other web sites may send their own cookies to collect your data or solicit personal information. We do not control the privacy policies of those third-party websites.
Amending this policy
- We may update this policy from time to time by publishing a new version on our website.
- You can also obtain the current version of this policy at any time by emailing a request to our Information Officer whose contact details are set out below.
Contact information of our information officer
Deputy Information Officer:
Physical address: 260 Peter Mokaba Ridge Road, Berea, Durban, 4007
Web address: https://www.busamed.co.za/